Friendship Baptist Church was organized on November 21, 1933 under the leadership of Reverend Isaac Thomas with fifteen (15) members. Reverend Thomas pastored the church until January 1944, at which time he was called home to be with the Lord.
In June of 1944, Reverend Joseph Culp accepted the call to pastor Friendship Baptist Church. At the time, the church was located at 1840 E. Biddle Street. The church became incorporated in 1949 and the new name changed to New Friendship Baptist Church; its new location at that time was 2017-19 E. Biddle Street. The church membership continued to grow from January 22, 1956, with 200 members, the church moved to its present location at 1515 E. Eager Street. Under the leadership of Reverend Culp, the church membership continued to increase over the years and many auxiliaries were organized.
The building began to show its wear and tear after many years of use. It was evident that something had to be done. Therefore, plans were made to renovate or tear down the building. After much consideration, this was solved by deciding to rebuild the church. As a result a Building Fund campaign was implemented to raise funds for a rebuilding project.
In June of 1982, after pastoring the church for over thirty-eight (38) years Reverend Culp retired at the age of 83. The church then had the task of searching for a spiritual leader.
After much prayer and consideration, in February 1983, Reverend Ralph D. White was called as our new Pastor. The church grew spiritually and there was a noted increase in Sunday School, Bible Study and Prayer Meeting attendance. With a strong emphasis on teaching ministry the membership continued to increase and ministries we established to evangelize the lost, edify the body and glorify God. Reverend White’s ministry at New Friendship had a focus on love and sharing with one another and the community; from this an Outreach Ministry was organized to include a feeding program, clothing, rent and utility assistance. Reverend White licensed seven sons (7) and six (6) daughters into the gospel ministry.
During Reverend White’s leadership the church building project came to fruition. On July 9, 1989 God blessed us with the completion of a new edifice at the corner of East Eager and Bond Streets. The focal point of the new building is a 26 foot cross which serves as a reminder to all who pass by that Jesus is the Savior of the world and to Him belong all the glory, honor, dominion and power.
A Pastoral Search Committee was formed and began to work diligently interviewing numerous candidates. Most importantly, the church prayed for the will of God to be done in the selection of a pastor. In August of 2000, Reverend Jason N. Clark was elected Pastor of the church. We were excited about what God was doing under Reverend Clark leadership; within the first four months of his pastoralship over 100 persons dedicated their lives to Christ. The membership continued to grow and finances increased to this end a thirty-three passenger bus was purchase for ministry. Being a visionary, Reverend Clark established a second location of the church in Owings Mills, MD, which later became Omega Baptist Church and Ministries. After much prayer and the leading of the Holy Spirit, Reverend Clark relinquished his pastoralship of New Friendship Baptist Church and focused on the ministry at Omega Baptist Church and Ministries.
With prayer a Pastoral Search Committee was formed and began the task of interviewing numerous candidates. Again, the church sought the will of God to be done in the selection of a pastor. In October 2004, Reverend Michael W. Palmer was elected to pastor New Friendship Baptist Church. During Reverend Palmer’s leadership ministries were established; most notably the Cancer Survivors Ministry; a ministry that speaks to the needs and challenges of the congregation and community who are affected and impacted by cancer. Reverend Palmer ordained a number of Deacons as well as licensing two (2) sons and one (1) daughter into the gospel ministry. Reverend Palmer’s ministry at New Friendship Baptist Church focused on equipping, encouraging and empowering willing disciples to live according to God’s will and His purpose in their lives. In November 2014, Reverend Palmer accepted an assignment at Bethesda Baptist Church in Washington, DC.
With the church praying and the pastoral Search Committee faithfully interviewing candidates, on April 25, 2015, Reverend Roderick S. Parks accepted the call to become the sixth pastor of New Friendship Baptist Church. New Friendship stands ready to serve community and bring a sense of hope, healing and restoration to a world that has seemingly been overrun by the presence of principalities. We are set to praise and worship the God of our salvation that has given us the victory, as we grow in grace. Pastor Parks was installed on September 20, 2015 and is leading this body of Christ to work together and move forward to advance the Kingdom’s agenda.